Pages

Monday, October 20, 2014

Trip into the Past. Essay!!




















While at the Metropolitan Museum of Art I came across two sculptures from the Egyptian Art Culture Gallery of the Museum. I've always been fascinated by the Egyptian culture from its specific Gods to the Hieroglyphics. The first sculpture hails from the New Kingdom, Dynasty 18 under Amenhotep II reign. The second sculpture depicts the head or what may also be considered bust from the 4th century B.C.—probably from Bubastis. Both these sculptures even through the centuries do share some principle similarities but also hold a distinction or two which makes them unique.
                The sculpture of the New Kingdom under Amenhotep II’s rule is a Garnierite statue of the Goddess Sekhmet (1390-1352 B.C.). I've heard of and about this goddess being she is the goddess of violence, illness and disease; they prayed to her for health and well-being as sign of pleasing the goddess. My angle or point of view of the 3D statue was a bit higher so it made an impression that a goddess was looking over me. Within that statue I felt a presence was emitting from the statue itself. All my attention was drawn to her face since she had the head of a lion which represents the destructive and chaotic prowess she held. The light cascading onto the sculpture from above was defining the grayish-black curves of the body of Sekhmet. From the statue it had a sense of balance asymmetrically through the broken/chipped pieces of the statue. The light from above showed off the lines of the statue or the body of it through the implied lines created from it. With the chipped off pieces of the statue and the fact it was created by a human, it gives off a sense of a geometric and organic field to it due to the aging of time.
                The second sculpture depicts the head of a God named Bes-image. The material used to create this sculpture is Limestone from the 4th century B.C. from Bubastis. There wasn't much info of the exact years but I’d believe the 4th century was at least 500 years apart in comparison to the 1st sculpture. It has an asymmetrical feel overall, it would'v been symmetric if it had both of its ears. The bust developed a very humorous feeling based off the facial expression but with that one ear, I felt as if it heard me snicker at least once or twice. From the angle, he was literally in equal means; my head was neither tilted up nor down. The light was very bright on this statue—from reading the description and the lighting; he was the god of newborn gods so I felt a very pleasant, very holy aura from it since all newborn life is very uplifting in most aspect. Just like the first one it has a geometric and organic feel to it, with it being made by a human and also being carved slowly but surely through the trials of time.
                I've always been fascinated by the Egyptian Culture itself and I felt I was able to learn a bit more about them through their painstaking craftsmanship of the sculptures. They were really dedicated to pleasing and praying to their gods in order to be rewarded with happiness, well-being, fertility, and order. Sekhmet was one of the many Gods I was most curious, as are all the gods that I've researched. The Egyptians seemed to be very content with the judgment of a higher power to bless them through worship.  Overall this journey through history was one experience I’d soon not forget and hopefully I’ll return one day to observe more artist points of view that were salvaged and saved through the past.


No comments:

Post a Comment