Pages

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Week 4 Homework (Drawing selection)


     The Last Supper, after Leonardo da Vinci

For this week's selection, I chose "The Last Supper" by Rembrandt van Rijn. This breathtaking and unique red chalk drawing can be found in the Metropolitan Museum of Art Online Collection. It is loosely based on the Leonardo da Vinci painting of the same name. Jesus Christ is without question the focal point of the piece, with six apostles on each side creating a lovely balance to the drawing. Rembrandt utilizes a cross-hatching technique to show the darkness of the curtains behind Christ. The cross-hatching serves another significant purpose though, and that is to allow the brilliant light which surrounds the emphasis (Christ) of the piece to pop. The drawing is quite simplistic in its design, which I believe is almost a necessity when we consider just how busy the subject matter actually is. There is indeed one man at that dais who wishes Jesus harm, and has every intention of betraying him. Christ is aware of Judas' actions, as well as his own fate. With the ultimate gesture of compassion, Jesus announces during His last supper that He knows of the plot against Him, and has already forgiven the traitor. The reason that the disciples appear to be whispering to each other is because they have just now heard the news, and are much more concerned to be dining with such an evil individual.
Besides my Catholic school background, I also chose this piece because "The Last Supper" painting (by Da Vinci) holds a special place in my heart. When I was a young boy my family had an exquisite copy of the painting, and a drawing that I had made of it is one of the few pieces of artwork that remain from my childhood. The Da Vinci painting is a much longer piece of art though, while Rembrandt's I notice includes a more condensed dinner table. I appreciate the smaller table, since it brings Christ and his apostles much closer together on such an important and eventful evening.

1 comment: