Pages

Monday, October 20, 2014

Blog #5


        I found this unique painting from Art Museum of the Americas. The title of the painting is Jazz II, 1991. It was painted by Maxwell Taylor. There are three men in the painting. Two men are wearing nice suits and performing instruments with their hands. There is one more man who is behind from two men. He is showing only his head without his body.  This is obviously abstract painting. Their bodies are described as simple way. I can see geometric shape in their clothes and background.  I can also see primary colors which are red, blue and yellow. I can’t really recognize their legs because the shapes describing their bodies look like pieces.
I can’t see realistic part in this painting. However, the artist describes figure’s faces more detail than the bodies. They are all closing their eyes. There are some shadows in their faces by blowing the instruments. I can see they focus on playing Jazz music. It can be also idealized. The figures might be famous artists from Jazz or the artist might be personally interested in Jazz. It also can be stylized. They are obviously human figure, but the artist expressed them simplified with different kinds of shapes. I can’t really see representational in the painting because there is no naturalistic form.  Interestingly, while I am looking at the painting, l felt like I could hear the sound of music. It is abstract. It makes me imagine that I am in the painting with them.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Hanna even from the title we can get the information that it is stylized/or idealized because it's not making reference to any Jazz musician by specific name. I think the artist was successful in the style if you feel like you are hearing the music!

    ReplyDelete