Pages

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Blog#6

 

I decided to search for a landscape painting only because what is a better example of an artist creating space. Space will most likely be found in replicating nature, open fields, hills, mountains and so forth. The painting I chose was found on the Google project link painted by Dario de Regoyos y Valdes and titled "Landscape at Hernani". The medium used was canvas on oil, created in 1900. In our class session we learned about where things are placed on a composition to create space and how to identify its location. This painting clearly has a foreground, middle-ground and background. The foreground is showing the open field of grass, while the middle-ground is showing us the village of home/houses. I feel that the horizon line falls somewhere in between where the roof tops meets the mountains. The background is the area where the mountains and sky is painted so realistically. This painting is a two point perspective due to visible corners on the buildings. I'm a little torn trying to figure out if I'm correct in saying the artist painted this piece eye level. Which clearly shows the distance and depth of space in this piece. The scale of the mountains which are huge if standing by one was painted small in the background to also show distance. Also the scale of the trees and even in the size of the bridge shows us the artist was painting from a distance creating space on his canvas. The drawing I included below is my creation and understanding of creating space in a drawing of my living room. Now I'm no artist or dream to be but I think its good enough to get my point across.  


1 comment:

  1. Samantha this is very good work! You picked a pianting that shows perspective and described it well.One thing to look for about eye level is if you can see the "tops" of things. In this painting I see the tops of the roofs, so it makes me feel like the artist was standing on something high, (like a hill maybe.) In this instance I would say the scene is below eye level, because of that. You did a very good drawing too!

    ReplyDelete