Pages

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Week One Home Work


I see art pretty much everywhere.  There are painted skateboards on the walls in my bedroom, there are paintings and decorative lamps and mirrors in my living room.  There is a massive wind chime and candle holder there, too.  There are some pretty incredible mosaics at the entrances and inside a lot of subway stations.  I passed a small courtyard with a fairly ordinary bench and small table in it and on the bench is a ceramic monkey.  I see graffiti all over the place.  There is graffiti on walls and roofs and pretty much everyplace you can get to on some buildings; it’s on lamp posts and fire hydrants.  Almost every bathroom stall I’ve been in has had some graffiti on the walls.  There is one place that I hadn’t seen graffiti before I moved to New York that I have noticed it quite frequently since moving here.  Vehicles.  I don’t think I had ever noticed it on vehicles outside of the city the way I’ve seen it here.  I saw this truck as I was walking to the subway from my old apartment.  This particular piece of art is 2D and it is a painting.  I think the purpose of it is to create an extraordinary version of an ordinary box truck and probably to refresh our vision and to help people see the world in a new way.  By turning something that is used only to move freight around the city into a colorful piece of moving artwork that everyone in the city can see, this bit of art is hopefully able to change the way that some people think of what art is and where it should or could be. 

1 comment:

  1. Derek, this is a terrific example of an extraordinary version of the ordinary!

    ReplyDelete