Pages

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Assignment #2


As we live our lives doing daily things we don't usually look around and notice what's around us because we're so busy going where we need to go or do whatever it is that we need to do. There's art everywhere here in New York and sometimes the art we come across isn't always intended. At times the art we come across can be accidental art. I walk by things every day without realizing or thinking anything of them. Recently I've realized a lot of things around me that can be accidental art.

ECLIPSE
 One thing I had came across is this circle. When I was getting of the bus after finally getting off of work I was finally almost home. On my way home I had spotted the circle. With just my first look at it, it  had caught my attention. I walked up to the circle and I saw it as accidental art while walking past some trash cans in front of my neighbor's house. Looking at this circle reminded me somewhat of an eclipse. The concert looks similar to the moon with the craters. The shape of this accidental art is a circle, which is geometric. I think this also has a few organic shapes as well. Around the circle the white rim seems like it has a kind of implied light. The accidental art also had the sunlight. These values helped me notice the art that was on the floor around my neighborhood. This art has achromatic colors involved. The main color seen here is the color gray but it has different shades of gray. The texture of the circle is rough and felt rough but also felt a bit wet.

Another thing I came across was this 2D sculpture. The sculpture seems to be a old rusted drain. When I was hanging out with my best friend we had decided that we would to the gym that day. While I was walking to the gym with my best friend I saw this on the sidewalk. It caught my attention by the colors it has and the way the old drain had reshaped itself over time. The colors of the old drain is an orange/brownish color with white splashed every where over the the orange/brownish color. This art has warm colors involved because of the color orange it has. The drain shape is a circle still making it an geometric shape. It also has 8 smaller circles located on top of the bigger circle. I think this art also has a few organic shapes of it's own.The shape of the sculpture made me feel the emotion of sadness because it's old and overused. This sculpture has the value of sunlight which helps the colors really pop out and helped me notice the art. I also noticed that this has negative and positive spaces. The positive space is the orange colored parts and the negative space is the white colored parts l. When I felt the old drain the texture of the drain was rough and very dry.

1 comment:

  1. Very good examples Damaris- and good descriptions, especially in the first one. In the second picture- look carefully- what are the negative spaces? Look at the holes in the drain- they would be the negative spaces.

    ReplyDelete