Pages

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Hw Assignment 2

Tangled Vines
My first picture that I took was a tangled vine that was growing on what looks like an abandoned shack in Bryant Park. I was walking in the park with my friend when I saw this and thought it looked amazing growing over the shack. Showing me that if a place is abandoned for a certain amount of time, nature will take it over. Just as I was about to take the picture a bird also landed on the vine and without me even have to make anything myself, nature made accidental art. Since the vines are all tangled, you cannot see where the line starts, it looks like it starts from the top and makes it’s down to the bottom. The different shades of brown that comes from the vines with the bird and the shack, makes it feel peaceful and in a quiet place, and does not in the middle of the city. The green leaves on top makes it stand out more showing that there is life here and that it will continue to keep growing until someone decides to take it down. There are patterns in this picture from the top of the shack with the bars that are repeated as the roof and the fence with the crisscross boxes. I believe that the person who built or designed this picked the style and color of this to make it seem more peaceful and to catch the attention of people who walk by it all the time. 


Reflection

The second picture I took was at the Port Authority Bus Terminal in the city. I was sitting down waiting for my friend to come when I noticed the bright blue sign that stood out on the whole floor. I thought the way the store sign was reflected off the ceiling made it look interesting and reminded me looking at a lake and the sky reflecting off it. This picture also has a lot of patterns from the lines and the lights, as well as the sprinklers in between the lights. The blue from the sign is bright and is what stands out the most in the picture and would catch the person’s attention right away. The horizontal line pattern’s makes the picture look long and that it would continue going. Unlike the other picture, this one gives me an uneasy feeling. Since it looks like its never ending it reminds me of those dreams that you’re running down a long hallway and as you’re running it just seems to get longer.  I believe if someone were to try to touch the ceiling it’ll be smooth, since it looks glossy and everything from the ground reflects to the ceiling, it’ll also feel like a mirror. Since the bus terminal has been opened for about 60 years, the colors in the building is dark with mostly red or dark brown colors, this picture makes it look like it is in a brighter place. 

1 comment:

  1. YES LINES! these are excellent examples Natalie- two very different pictures and you wrote about the visual elements very well.

    ReplyDelete