Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Assignment #1

We see art all around us everyday whether its the architecture of a building or a billboard down a highway everything is art in itself. Everything we see and touch is art, art is all everywhere. I see art everyday all around my neighborhood, while taking my daily walk to and from the train station to my apartment i see this painting below, it is painted on a large wall near a park, this is called a mural. This painting has been in that wall for many years,ever since i moved to my current address which was around fourteen years ago. This is a two dimensional painting because it is flat on a surface and we can't see behind nor around it . The main purpose of this painting based on the seven categories we discussed in class is to construct meaningful images and forms to feeling and ideas, it is also to commemorate someone who is no longer living, i know this because there is a quote on the painting that says “ No farewell words” were spoken, no time to say goodbye, you were gone before we knew it and only god knows why.”  I can tell many things from the person that passed away just by looking at the painting. First i can tell that the person was from Puerto Rico, and also i think that the lion in the painting represents that he was a fighter and a warrior. It also seems like this person was known and loved by many to have a mural painted of him.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your assessment on this piece. Not knowing who this person is, I can tell that he inspired people's lives. I also feel like that's a good representation of the lion on the mural, but I also think it could symbolize his zodiac sign or that he shared the leadership role as male lions do. The words written on the mural do show that the man passed away very abruptly and I believe people close to him were greatly affected by it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent description and analysis Kiara.

    ReplyDelete