Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

HW #2


Three
Every morning I would walk by my wall and see these three souvenirs, before I never saw them as a work of art. Now after analyzing it I see how they are accidental pieces of art. All three of the souvenirs are 3-d. The top one is wood carved into what is room. It has vertical lines to help build up the structure. It has geometric shapes inside and the sculpture itself is a geometric shape, it’s a rectangle. It also consists of organic shapes like the archway design. You can touch it and it feels smooth. The whole sculpture consists of a monochromatic color; it’s a light tannish color in the inside and outside. That can also be the negative space inside. The yellow picture and purple flower pop out the most in that sculpture. I feel those two colors complement each other. I believe that sculpture is hand made. The left sculpture is also wood; it’s a reddish brownish color. It has various vertical lines and organic shapes. Notice the circular little plates. You can kind of see some negative space, which is the green wall. The texture is not as smooth as the first wooden piece. Finally the next sculpture is the bottom one; it’s a sunstone. It is also carved and there are a few geometric shape like squares but also organic shapes. If you touch its kind of rough because it’s suppose to be like the real sunstone that was originally made out of basalt. The sculpture is round with three different types of grey making it achromatic. The negative space is a dime grey color. You can’t really see it but the sculpture has different mythological and astrological figures.



Sunset 
Over the weekend I went to Flushing Meadow Park, as I was walking I came across this beautiful view around seven o’clock. This sunset has a horizontal line which brought me a feeling of calmness. I also noticed the clouds seem to be going in a diagonal direction. As soon as I took this photo and looked at it, the first thing that automatically captured my attention was the bright orange and hot yellow colors. I think there is organic shapes since the trees kind of form a wavy line on top, also the trees itself are not an exact shape. There are also circle shapes because they are the bikes and cars wheels. I noticed you can kind of see like half a circle where the yellow is. There is actual light because it’s from the light of the sun, the grey clouds makes it pop out. You can see the sunlight through the trees so that can be the negative space. The sunset had warm colors, orange, red, yellow in the bottom and cool colors, very light bluish, grey and lilac on top. Seeing this sunset reminds me that another day has ended. The warm colors appear closer and larger than the cool ones. I feel that the greyish blue and the yellowish orange complement each other and the orange and yellow are analogues. I think the sunset has both secondary and primary colors. The colors also remind me of the season changing, soon we will be in autumn and the cool colors remind me of the winter. To me the sun looks like a giant fireball that slowly disappears.

1 comment:

  1. great work Bren with detailed description of the visual elements.

    ReplyDelete