Pages

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Essay 2




 
Art has always captivated my attention since I can remember. I many not have been blessed with the ability to draw and paint the way I wish I could but I love creativity and can appreciate beautiful things. Especially those that are rare and different then what we are use to seeing. This past Friday we were able to visit many galleries and view different contemporary artist's work. I loved that all the galleries we experienced were all of different works and mediums. Some were outrageously creative and took a lot of time and hard work to create and some were not so much my cup of tea, maybe a little bit too weird for me. The first place we visited was with the installation piece. I wasn't expecting anything like what we walked into, I mean literally "walked into". At first I was amazed that these gems (galleries)  are all  hidden in this area and also amazed that these places can hold such a massive piece of art inside. My first impression of this installation was what would one do with this piece? Where would they even put it? & of course exactly how much does this cost. This isn't something you would purchase and decided to decorate your living room with but I liked it because it was different. It was something I haven't seen before and the curiosity made me like it even more.
 
 
 
I have to say my absolute favorite contemporary artist was Wu Jian'an gallery. I was blown away with this artist work and creativity. The efforts this artist went through to make his work is extraordinary. These pieces are definitely artwork I'd want to purchase and proudly hang on my wall. It seems so easy to get paper and cut images out of it to put together, but taking a closer its so complex and done to perfection. Its like how can one person make something so perfect!!! This was the artist I felt a "spark" with.
The other gallery I really admired as well was with the contemporary artist who made the portraits out of a collage of the African American women. Considering the fact we had an assignment to make our own collage and the struggle I experienced in coming up with what I was going to do with it, I can only imagine the difficulty creating these very large portraits. I found this artist to be very unique and loved how the colors fit so well together within each piece put together. I also thought the artist who used the wax to create their work was brilliant! From far you would think these pieces were oil paintings, NOT wax! Amazing.



Finally, the last place we visited was something I most definitely did not expect. It was so cool to walk into a gallery and view these huge sculptures and paintings on the walls, which seemed like huge stickers. I'm not so sure what the medium was for the paintings on the walls but it was something to appreciate and take in. As you can see below I had some "selfie" fun in this gallery. The giant sculptures were awesome, I wonder if they would fit in my sons room? =)

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 








1 comment:

  1. Excellent Samantha! Yes, you do get an appreciation for the craft when you have tried it yourself, and Kay Hassan's work was amazing!

    ReplyDelete