Pages

Monday, December 8, 2014

Blog #8









       I went to the Museum of Modern Art for my trip, The reason I picked this museum is because I have never been there before. The first picture is a picture I took of the museum right outside the cafe area. I took a picture of the paintings that I most found interesting and stood out to me. The second picture is a painting called the Song of Love. The artist is Giorgio de Chirico and it was painted in 1914. This painting is one of the artists most famous works. In this painting you can see obvious shapes such as the green circle. The part that stood out to me the most was the sculpted head with the glove right next to it. The sculpted head was painted with much detail as you can see the ridges in the hair.
  The third picture is called The Menaced Assassin. This was painted in the year 1927 and was created by the artist Rene Magritte. This painting intrigued me by the story it had to tell. It shows a man next to a gramophone in the same area as a nude woman. On the outskirts of the picture it shows two men as if they are prepared to attack him. Also if you look closely enough you can see three men in a picture behind them. The negative space which is the white walls in the pictures really helps bring out the rest of the details.
The fourth picture is called I and the Village. This painting was created in 1911 by the artist Marc Chagall. I found this punting interesting because of all of the detail in it and the colors used. It seems like it's a persons head and a horses head that are close together. The person's head seems to be green for some reason also. Then in one of the small triangles of he painting you can see a person with a scythe walking towards a woman laying on the floor. Inside of the horses head you can also see a cow painted with a person milking it. The painting overall has great detail and tells a story in itself which I  found to be extremely interesting. 
The fifth picture I took was called The Sleeping Gypsy. This was painted by the artist Henri Roousseau in 1897. The reason I liked the painting is because of the simplicity of it. The picture itself seems to depict a lion standing over a sleeping women in the desert on  a moonlit night. The one thing that stands out to me the most is the woman's colored garbs. It's a rainbow colored dress garment. The other thing that stood out was the lions mane. The artist made sure it stood out by the ridges in it so you could tell what animal it was. 
All in all the trip was good. I got to see many of todays modern works. The museum itself was nicely built and warm. It was open till 5:30 pm because it was a Sunday. The admission was also free as long as you showed your student I.D. which i found was pretty cool. Not a lot of museums do these kind of promotions anymore. It was also a little more crowded than I expected on a Sunday but mainly with tourists not too much with native New Yorkers. I saw many pieces of interesting artwork and I hope to go back one day when they add new pieces to their collection.


No comments:

Post a Comment